|Big Bluestem||1.66||Little Bluestem||0.69|
|Fox Sedge||1.98||Prairie Cordgrass||0.88|
|Lance-Fruit Oval Sedge||0.93||Virginia Wild Rye||1.15|
|Blackeyed Susan||2.17||New England Aster||0.73|
|Blue Lobelia||1.40||Obedience Plant||0.12|
|Blue Vervain||1.04||Plains Coreopsis||1.11|
|Brown-eyed Susan||0.37||Purple Meadow Rue||0.06|
|Canada Milkvetch||0.37||Purple Prairieclover||1.82|
|Canada Tick-trefoil||0.12||Rattlesnake Master||0.12|
|Cardinal Flower||1.04||Sawtooth Sunflower||0.06|
|Common Evening Primrose||0.25||Slender Gerardia||1.49|
|Culver’s Root||0.28||Spotted Joe Pye Weed||0.25|
|Cup Plant||0.09||Swamp Milkweed||0.21|
|Cutleaf Coneflower||0.14||Sweet Blackeyed Susan||0.25|
|Dense Blazing Star||0.29||Sweet Joe Pye Weed||0.23|
|False or Oxeye Sunflower||0.07||Tall Coreopsis||0.15|
|Foxglove Beardstongue||0.14||Thickspike Gayfeather||0.17|
|Golden Alexander||0.24||Virginia Mountain Mint||0.15|
|Grayhead Coneflower||0.29||Western Yarrow||0.98|
|Illinois Bundleflower||0.24||Wild Bergamot||0.44|
High Quality Habitat
- A minimum of 50% of the seed mixture will be comprised of wildflowers and forbs.
- Each seeding mixture will contain 40 or more species to provide high diversity and broad benefits.
- Each seeding mixture will contain at least one appropriate milkweed species to benefit monarch butterflies.
- An appropriate number of flowering plants will be provided throughout the entire growing season.
- Seeding mixtures are designed using the appropriate seeds per square foot for each species.
A note about wildflower and pollinator seed mixes
The establishment of a wildflower, prairie, or pollinator seed mix depends on two critical elements: time and management. Many of the wildflower species listed in these mixtures will take several years to show up…be patient. In addition, the natural process of plant succession means that you’ll need to manage the stand to keep it looking diverse and colorful in the future. Otherwise, grasses tend to dominate the community. Every two years, plan to manage your habitat by applying some form of management like prescribed burning, herbicide application, light disking, managed grazing or haying.
The Habitat Organization
Pheasants Forever is dedicated to the conservation of pheasants, quail and other wildlife through habitat improvements, public awareness, education, and land management policies and programs.