|GRASSES||30% (8.090 PLS/ft2)|
|Big Bluestem, Pawnee||Rough or Tall Dropseed|
|Indiangrass, Cheyenne||Sideoats Grama, Butte|
|Little Bluestem, Aldous||Slender Wheatgrass|
|WILDFLOWERS||70% (19.076 PLS/ft2)|
|American Germander||New England Aster|
|Baldwin’s Ironweed||Pale Purple Coneflower|
|Black-eyed Susan||Pitcher Sage|
|Blanketflower (Indian Blanket)||Plains Coreopsis|
|Blue Flax||Purple Coneflower|
|Blue Vervain||Purple Prairie Clover|
|Butterfly Milkweed||Rattlesnake Master|
|Canada Milkvetch||Rough Gayfeather|
|Canada Tick-trefoil||Roundhead Lespedeza|
|Common Milkweed||Showy Partridgepea|
|Compass Plant||Smooth Blue Aster|
|Cudweed Sagewort||Stiff Goldenrod|
|False Boneset||Sweet Joe Pye Weed|
|False Sunflower||Thickspike Gayfeather|
|Foxglove Beardstongue||Upright Coneflower|
|Golden Alexander||Virginia Mountain Mint|
|Grayhead Coneflower||Western Yarrow|
|Hoary Vervain||White Prairie Clover|
|Illinois Bundleflower||White Wild Indigo|
|Lanceleaf Coreopsis||Wild Bergamot|
|TOTAL: 27.166 PLS/ft2|
High Quality Habitat
- A minimum of 50% of the seed mixture will be comprised of wildflowers and forbs.
- Each seeding mixture will contain 40 or more species to provide high diversity and broad benefits.
- Each seeding mixture will contain at least one appropriate milkweed species to benefit monarch butterflies.
- An appropriate number of flowering plants will be provided throughout the entire growing season.
- Seeding mixtures are designed using the appropriate seeds per square foot for each species.
A note about wildflower and pollinator seed mixes
The establishment of a wildflower, prairie, or pollinator seed mix depends on two critical elements: time and management. Many of the wildflower species listed in these mixtures will take several years to show up…be patient. In addition, the natural process of plant succession means that you’ll need to manage the stand to keep it looking diverse and colorful in the future. Otherwise, grasses tend to dominate the community. Every two years, plan to manage your habitat by applying some form of management like prescribed burning, herbicide application, light disking, managed grazing or haying.
The Habitat Organization
Pheasants Forever is dedicated to the conservation of pheasants, quail and other wildlife through habitat improvements, public awareness, education, and land management policies and programs.